Better than visions of sugarplums, these triple-decker treats feature creamy caramel and nuts sandwiched between milk chocolate layers - a candy lover's dream come true!
Recommended: Food Gifts for Dad
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/3 cup butter, divided
- 2 packages (11-1/2 ounces each) milk chocolate chips, divided
- 4 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- Line an ungreased 9-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt one package of chips and 2 tablespoons shortening; stir until smooth. Pour into a prepared pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the caramels, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in walnuts. Pour over chocolate layer. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt remaining chips and shortening. Spread over caramel layer. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Using foil, lift candy our of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 pounds.
Originally published as Walnut Caramel Treats in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p27
Reviews for Walnut Caramel Treats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review