"I once enjoyed a nutty chocolate-caramel cake at a teahouse," writes Deanna Richter. "I eventually happened upon a similar recipe that dresses up a boxed cake mix." The Elmore, Minnesota baker says the moist cake is a hit, especially with chocolate lovers, whenever she serves it.
Recommended: Caramel Apple-Inspired Recipes
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the caramels, butter and milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Pour over warm cake.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour the remaining batter over chips. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until cake is set and pulls away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Caramel Cake in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p22
Reviews for Walnut Caramel Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 8, 2012