Walnut Brownies Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and cocoa; beat in egg, sugar and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in walnuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 brownies.
1 each: 171 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Brownies
"Old fashioned sweetness, NO gooey frosting or tons of butter! The shortening gives great texture and the cocoa gives just the right amount of chocolate flavor, perfect size for 1 - 3 people, have made numerous times"
"I think this is the same recipe I made in 1964 in HomeEconomics! It is simple and delicious!"
"I realize that certain factors may have affected the way they came out, but these brownies were "not my best." I believe the shortening was to blame, though. I suppose the acrid taste of the brownies was due to my insufficient knowledge of shortening... I will attempt to make these brownies again, though. Thanks very much for the recipe!"
"Didn't like the shortening taste,not enough sugar. To me too bland BUT the texture was terrific--a dream. So, I had a double batch, was in a bind, frosted cut squares GENEROUSLY w/milk choc.frstng. and they were a HIT!!!!"