Walnut Brownies Recipe
I LEARNED to make these brownies in 1957 in home economics class. They were the first goodies I'd ever baked by myself. Now, 40 years later, I still make a batch occasionally. The recipe calls for basic ingredients on hand in most every kitchen, and the rich chocolate flavor is delicious. -Lorraine Silver, Chicopee, Massachusetts
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and cocoa; beat in egg, sugar and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in walnuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 brownies.
1 serving (1 each) equals 171 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 58 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC