Walnut Brownies Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, cream shortening and cocoa; beat in egg, sugar and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 brownies.
Reviews for Walnut Brownies
Sort By :
"Old fashioned sweetness, NO gooey frosting or tons of butter! The shortening gives great texture and the cocoa gives just the right amount of chocolate flavor, perfect size for 1 - 3 people, have made numerous times"
"I think this is the same recipe I made in 1964 in HomeEconomics! It is simple and delicious!"
"I realize that certain factors may have affected the way they came out, but these brownies were "not my best." I believe the shortening was to blame, though. I suppose the acrid taste of the brownies was due to my insufficient knowledge of shortening... I will attempt to make these brownies again, though. Thanks very much for the recipe!"
"Didn't like the shortening taste,not enough sugar. To me too bland BUT the texture was terrific--a dream. So, I had a double batch, was in a bind, frosted cut squares GENEROUSLY w/milk choc.frstng. and they were a HIT!!!!"