- cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light
- and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking
- powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with
- milk and mix well. Spread into two greased and floured 9-in. round
- baking pans; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff
- glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in 1 cup nuts. Spread
- meringue evenly over batter. Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until meringue is browned and
- crisp. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes (meringue will crack).
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pans to loosen. Remove to wire
- racks; cool with meringue side up. To assemble, place one cake with
- meringue side up on a serving plate; carefully spread with custard.
- Top with remaining cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 292 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.