Walnut Bars Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, salt and baking powder. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust.
- 4. Bake for 25 minutes or until filling is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. Combine confectioners' sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency; spread over filling. Let stand until set before cutting. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 165 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Bars
"I made these bars tonight, but instead of the lemon glaze, I covered it in melted chocolate... Amazing..."
"After reading the reviews, I agreed that maple would be a better flavor combination with the walnuts, so I tried it. As annie1992 said, it was too sweet. I actually thought the bars tasted better before I drizzled on the glaze. They were eaten up quickly, however."
"I actually liked the bars very well, and I liked the glaze, but not together. I replaced the lemon with a maple glaze and it was perfect, although a bit sweet. What can you say, it's a cookie!"
"I bake all the time and I made these bars just because I had all the ingredients. We love love them! My 33 year old son said that he believes that all food should taste just like these. I followed the recipe exact. I cut them into 1 inch pieces so you can just pop one right in your mouth. I will be making these often!"
"Ok, I did not make this but my friend did. I liked it, but not all together. I ate the lemon frosting separatly. It was very sweet and tart but yummy, I just didn't like them together. I will be making this in the near future but without the frosting or maybe a cream cheese frosting instead."
"This recipe was wonderful! I am making it again this weekend for the super bowl party. I added a little cream cheese to the icing so that the lemon wasn't so over powering. I also added a few extra walnuts..why not?! Everyone loved them!"
"I decided to try this recipe because my husband loves walnut's. Reading the recipe I decided to not make as much of the glaze and to use lime juice with lemon since my husband does not care for just lemon. I used 1 cup of the confectioner sugar and then 1 T. of lemon juice and 1 T. of lime juice. Drizzled the glaze instead of full coverage of the dessert. I have made it for 3 different occasions and it has recieved rave reviews each time."
"I made these bars for poker night with friends. They were disappointed because they know I can bake much better than this. I've been baking from scratch for the past 45 years and have never had a recipe fail so miserably. The crust was so dry it fell apart and the lemon glaze overpowered the flavor of the bar. I'll have to make some major adjustments to the recipe if I ever make this bar again."