- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, salt and baking powder. Stir in walnuts. Spread over crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until filling is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve desired consistency; spread over filling. Let stand until set before cutting. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Walnut Bars
Sort By :
"After reading the reviews, I agreed that maple would be a better flavor combination with the walnuts, so I tried it. As annie1992 said, it was too sweet. I actually thought the bars tasted better before I drizzled on the glaze. They were eaten up quickly, however."
"I actually liked the bars very well, and I liked the glaze, but not together. I replaced the lemon with a maple glaze and it was perfect, although a bit sweet. What can you say, it's a cookie!"
"I bake all the time and I made these bars just because I had all the ingredients. We love love them! My 33 year old son said that he believes that all food should taste just like these. I followed the recipe exact. I cut them into 1 inch pieces so you can just pop one right in your mouth. I will be making these often!"
"Ok, I did not make this but my friend did. I liked it, but not all together. I ate the lemon frosting separatly. It was very sweet and tart but yummy, I just didn't like them together. I will be making this in the near future but without the frosting or maybe a cream cheese frosting instead."