- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Grease a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough sheets (keep dough covered with plastic wrap while assembling).
- Place one sheet of phyllo in baking dish; brush with butter. Top with a second sheet; brush with butter. Fold long ends under to fit the dish. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup nut mixture. Repeat 18 times, layering two sheets, brushing with butter and sprinkling with nut mixture. Top with remaining dough; brush with butter. Cut into 2-in. diamonds with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Walnut Baklava
"This recipe was easy to prepare and my husband really enjoyed it."
"I found this dessert very time consuming to make, but very sweet, delicious and worth it. Tried making it once using 1/2 pistachios and 1/2 walnuts, but couldn't taste much difference in the end...oh well! I will stick to the original recipe from now on."
"Absolutely delicious, my family loves it!"
"I have made this several times following the recipe exactly and it is delicious! A huge hit everywhere I've taken it."
"Just made these and it was delicious! I may have overcooked them just a little. I would probably expect to cook them about 40-45 mins next time but other than that I wouldn't change a thing."