Walnut-Apple Snack Cake Recipe
Hungry for harvesttime? This tasty cake puts the season's best in the spotlight. Featuring apples, walnuts, spices and toffee bits for sweetness, it will satisfy you to the core. —Barbara Zaverson, Hudson, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the apples, toffee bits and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 18 servings.
1 piece (calculated without ice cream) equals 241 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC