“I have been making this delicious rice dish for many years and get requests for the recipe often,” writes Janice Mitchell of Aurora, Colorado. “It's easy to fix when you are in a hurry and goes well with pork dishes.”
Featured In: 30 Fall Harvest Salads
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the water, cider, salt and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, apple and walnuts. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Apple Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p12
Reviews for Walnut Apple Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2011
"I used regular white rice, just stirred in the apples and walnuts at the end of steaming and replaced the lid to let stand. I also omitted the cinnamon. This was good and nice for a change."