Walnut Apple Pie
Adding walnuts gives a slight twist to traditional apple pie recipes and adds a unique flavor we really enjoy.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 4 to 5 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugars,
- nuts, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss to coat.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Add
- apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top
- of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in
- top. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is brown and
- filling is bubbly. cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 441 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium,