Walnut Apple Pie Recipe
- 4 to 5 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugars, nuts, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Add apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly. cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 441 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Apple Pie
"Are the walnuts missing from the recipe directions here?"
"I accidentally forgot the tapioca, so it was very runny, but it was still delicious! I would recommend using at least five large apples for this recipe if you want the filling piled as high as it is in the picture."