- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts, divided
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Place apples in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar and cinnamon. In a bowl, cream butter and remaining brown sugar. Beat in eggs. Stir in flour and 1/2 cup walnuts. Spread over apples. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until the apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Walnut Apple Dessert
"Delicious dessert especially during apple season. The batter is a bit difficult to "spread" but with a little patience it works well. You want to make sure the butter is really soft and the eggs are at room temperature. If you add cold eggs it will stiffen the butter back up making it more difficult to mix and spread."
"I just finished making this wonderful dessert and I got the thumbs up from all my family. I didn't use Granny Apples because all I had were 6 Delicious apples about to turn; and I didn't use all purpose flour because after the Christmas season I was all out so I used All Purpose Rice Flour. Making the substitutions out of necessity didn't seem to matter, it came out delicious anyway. I can't wait to make it again using the prescribed ingredients because I know it will be even more delicious due the tangy taste of the Granny Apples. I give this recipe 5 stars!"
"Enjoyed this dessert it is like a bread pudding except it has apples."
"One of my husband's favorite desserts."
"The flavor of this dish was ok, but I found the top batter a bit difficult to spread on the apples. Not a 'spectacular' dessert by any means."