Walnut Apple Cider Salad
This cool, refreshing salad with crunchy nuts and apples makes me think of my mother and Thanksgiving. Mom prepared it each year for that holiday since apples were plentiful. She served it in a beautiful cut-glass bowl that belonged to my grandmother.
-Jeannette Mack, Rushville, New York
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3-3/4 cups apple cider, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of cider; let
- stand for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, sugar, salt and remaining
- cider. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar and gelatin are
- dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until slightly thickened, about
- 2-1/2 hours.
- Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer to a 2-qt. serving bowl. Cover
- and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving equals 135 calories, 6 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.