- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Walnut halves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the four, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to the egg mixture until well blended(batter will be stiff). Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, flour and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cut cake into squares; serve with warm sauce. Garnish with walnut halves if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Walnut Apple Cake
"Big hit at our house. Our neighbors son wants one for his graduating party and one for himself !"
"10/3/14 Made this last night for me and hubby- so good - thanks for sharing - only half left and it isn't even 24 hours yet...:)"
"I absolutely love this cake! So moist, and not too sweet or rich- I could eat a whole pan. And the sauce gives it that "milk and cookies" vibe, you have to have one with the other. I shredded the tart apples so there are no surprise chunks :)"
"I baked it for 50 min. and it tested done but was gooey. The flavor of the cake was good but didn't care for the sauce."