Loaded with tart apples and crunchy walnuts, this cake is fun to take to potlucks or family gatherings. The sweet buttery sauce tops off pieces just right.
Recommended: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. In a saucepan, combine sugar, butter and cream; mix well. Cook over low heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Serve warm with the cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Apple Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p43
Reviews for Walnut Apple Cake with Butter Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review