Walnut Apple Cake with Butter Sauce Recipe
Loaded with tart apples and crunchy walnuts, this cake is fun to take to potlucks or family gatherings. The sweet buttery sauce tops off pieces just right.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. In a saucepan, combine sugar, butter and cream; mix well. Cook over low heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Serve warm with the cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Apple Cake in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p43
Reviews for Walnut Apple Cake with Butter Sauce(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review