I first tasted this delicious cake at a Halloween party and quickly asked for the recipe. It's not too sweet, and the butter sauce makes it a super dessert.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Walnut halves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the four, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to the egg mixture until well blended(batter will be stiff). Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, flour and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cut cake into squares; serve with warm sauce. Garnish with walnut halves if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Walnut Apple Cake in Country October/November 1999, p49
Reviews for Walnut Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review