Walnut Apple Bread Recipe
Whenever I make this bread, it’s like being in my Grandma’s kitchen. Swirled with apples, walnuts and cinnamon, it’s one of the best breads I’ve ever tasted. —Nancy Daugherty, Cortland, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, combine apples and walnuts. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir into apple mixture. Punch dough down. Roll into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spread butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with apple mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut in half. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 4. Place loaves seam side down in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. With a sharp knife, make eight shallow slashes across top of each loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 140 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC