Walnut Apple Bread Recipe
Whenever I make this bread, it’s like being in my Grandma’s kitchen. Swirled with apples, walnuts and cinnamon, it’s one of the best breads I’ve ever tasted. —Nancy Daugherty, Cortland, Ohio
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, combine apples and walnuts. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir into apple mixture. Punch dough down. Roll into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spread butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with apple mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut in half. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 4. Place loaves seam side down in two 9x5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. With a sharp knife, make eight shallow slashes across top of each loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 140 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC