Waldorf Sandwiches Recipe
"The fresh fruity filling for this sandwich is a nice variation of a classic. My clan loves the cool and creamy combination, so I serve these sandwiches often for a light lunch or dinner."—Darlene Sutton, Arvada, Colorado
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 medium red apple, chopped
- 1 medium green apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rolls, croissants or pita bread
- 1. Drain pineapple, pressing out excess juice; discard all but 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine pineapple, chicken, apples, walnuts and celery.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, poppy seeds, sugar, lemon peel, vanilla, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Pour over chicken mixture and toss well. Chill. Serve on rolls or croissants or in pita bread. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 18 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC