"The fresh fruity filling for this sandwich is a nice variation of a classic. My clan loves the cool and creamy combination, so I serve these sandwiches often for a light lunch or dinner."—Darlene Sutton, Arvada, Colorado
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 medium red apple, chopped
- 1 medium green apple, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rolls, croissants or pita bread
- Drain pineapple, pressing out excess juice; discard all but 1/4 cup juice. In a large bowl, combine pineapple, chicken, apples, walnuts and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, poppy seeds, sugar, lemon peel, vanilla, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Pour over chicken mixture and toss well. Chill. Serve on rolls or croissants or in pita bread. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Waldorf Sandwiches in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p25
Reviews for Waldorf Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review