Waldorf Lentil Salad Recipe
Here's a delicious way to get fiber-rich lentils into your diet. "This salad includes something I discovered years ago: a touch of ground cloves," notes Lily Julow of Lawrenceville, Georgia. "It does amazing things for lentils!"
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash ground cloves
- Dash pepper
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring lentils and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves and pepper until blended. Stir in apple and celery.
- 2. Drain and rinse lentils in cold water. Gently stir into apple mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve on lettuce leaves; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-fat mayonnaise) equals 409 calories, 19 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 18 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC