Here's a delicious way to get fiber-rich lentils into your diet. "This salad includes something I discovered years ago: a touch of ground cloves," notes Lily Julow of Lawrenceville, Georgia. "It does amazing things for lentils!"
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash ground cloves
- Dash pepper
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring lentils and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves and pepper until blended. Stir in apple and celery.
- Drain and rinse lentils in cold water. Gently stir into apple mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve on lettuce leaves; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Waldorf Lentil Salad in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p35
Reviews for Waldorf Lentil Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 26, 2010
"This is one of my standards. I make it fairly often. Tasty and healthy and easy."