Wagon Wheel Turnovers Recipe
When my children were still at home, I made this often because they loved it. They still do (and so do I!). With a salad or a simple cooked vegetable alongside, these turnovers make a complete meal.Donna Meyer, New Albin, Iowa
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divideed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a skillet, brown ground beef with onion and mushrooms; drain. Stir in 1/3 cup cheese soup and poultry seasoning. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and curry powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine meal. Stir in 1/3 cup tomato sauce and water.
- Knead on a floured surface until a soft dough forms. Roll into a 14-in. square. Cut into four 7-in. squares. Divide meat mixture evenly among the squares. Fold dough over meat mixture to form a triangle; pinch edges to seal. Place on a baking sheet and brush each turnover lightly with egg white.
- Bake at 400° 20 minutes or until lightly browned. In a small saucepan, combine milk, remaining tomato sauce and cheese soup; heat through. Serve over turnovers. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Wagon Wheel Turnovers in Country Ground Beef 1993, p66
Reviews for Wagon Wheel Turnovers(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review