Wagon Wheel Pasta Plate Recipe
This tasty pasta dish has all the goodness of pizza—a longtime favorite of kids. Be prepared for requests for second helpings.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup vegetable or beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, red pepper, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the cream. Slowly stir in the sausage mixture; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; toss with creamy sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 348 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 532 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC