This tasty pasta dish has all the goodness of pizza—a longtime favorite of kids. Be prepared for requests for second helpings.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup vegetable or beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces uncooked wagon wheel pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, red pepper, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the cream. Slowly stir in the sausage mixture; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; toss with creamy sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Wagon Wheel Pasta Plate in Country Woman March/April 2003, p45
Reviews for Wagon Wheel Pasta Plate
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review