- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 ounces wagon wheel pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a shallow 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, toss pasta, Parmesan cheese, green pepper, spaghetti sauce and beef mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Wagon Wheel Casserole
"I couldn't find wagon wheel pasta so I used a multigrain elbow instead. It was okay but both my husband and I agree that we would rather have a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce."
"It was just spaghetti with a different shaped pasta. Just okay, nothing exceptional."
"Fantastic! Good for the fussy crowd - a real pleaser! Thank you!"
"It needed more seasoning, so I added spaghetti seasoning. It was good but no more than your average spaghetti!"
"This has nearly all my favorite pizza toppings, except for sausage so to me takes like pizza which I dearly love and this has a lot less calories. Next time I'm going to do it with ground pork and put sausage seasoning in the pork. Then it will taste just like my pizza! I'm also on a gluten free diet so I just used gluten free elbow macaroni (made with rice) in place of the wagon wheels. At 58, I don't need cute wagon wheels to get me to eat! It looks better than this photo too. I just made sure the spaghetti sauce had no wheat in it. I don't know where the other reviewer got all the salt. I don't see that as an ingredient. With 3 Gm sodium as a "normal" amount of sodium for a healthy person, this comes no where near the limit of sodium one should consume. He could also use his homemade spaghetti sauce and not put any salt in it if that's his only complaint. I was a cardiac nurse for many years. The majority of our cardiac patients were on a 2 Gm sodium diet, again, this comes no where near that unless they eat the entire recipe!"