This cute eye-opener is loaded with flavor. “The recipe originally came from a military magazine,” relates Sandra Hough of Hampton, Virginia. “I’ve prepared it several times and it’s quite popular, especially with kids.”
- 1-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk, divided
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 4 uncooked breakfast sausage links
- 1/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1 egg
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash paprika
- Place the hash browns in a 7-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons milk, onion, salt if desired and pepper; spread over potatoes.
- Cut sausage links in half lengthwise; arrange over potatoes in a spoke-like fashion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the biscuit mix, egg, nutmeg and remaining milk until smooth; pour between sausages. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Wagon Wheel Breakfast Pie in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p19
Reviews for Wagon Wheel Breakfast Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review