I like to serve these flavorful waffles when we have company because they add nice color to the table and look so elegant, yet they're so easy to prepare. Everyone raves about the unique rich vanilla sauce served over the warm waffles.
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3-2/3 cups milk, divided
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg yolks lightly. Add 1-2/3 cups milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Set aside 1/4 cup batter in a small bowl. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into remaining batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and remaining milk until scalded. Stir a small amount into reserved batter; return all to pan. Bring to a boil; boil for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add vanilla and mix well (sauce will thicken upon standing). Serve over waffles. Top with berries. Yield: 6-8 waffles (6-1/2 inches).
Originally published as Waffles with Vanilla Sauce in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p35
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Waffles with Vanilla Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review