Waffles with Peach-Berry Compote Recipe
- 1 cup chopped peeled fresh or frozen peaches
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the peaches, orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add berries; cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Combine the buttermilk, orange juice, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with compote. Yield: 12 waffles (1-1/2 cups compote).
2 waffles with 1/4 cup compote equals 251 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.