Waffles with Peach-Berry Compote Recipe
- 1 cup chopped peeled fresh or frozen peaches
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the peaches, orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon; bring to a boil over medium heat. Add berries; cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Combine the buttermilk, orange juice, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with compote. Yield: 12 waffles (1-1/2 cups compote).
2 waffles with 1/4 cup compote equals 251 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Waffles with Peach-Berry Compote
"I couldn't make the compote but I wanted to make waffles and they were really good and light and tasted great even though I didn't have the orange juice I added extra milk. I'm going to make again and try to have all the ingredients. It was very healthy though with the wheat flour,flax seed and not even an egg in it. Loved it!"
"I made these tonight for dinner and they were up there with the best tasting waffles! The orange juice and flax seeds work so well in this recipe!"