Waffles From Scratch
ON SATURDAYS, my mom and I always went shopping, but before we left, she made my favorite lunch, homemade waffles.
They were about 8 inches around and prepared in a grill set on top of the stove. Those waffles were so delicious!
-Florence Dean, Towson, Maryland
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar and fresh fruit or maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a
- small bowl, whisk egg yolks, milk and butter. Stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's
- directions until golden brown. Top with confectioners' sugar and
- fruit or serve with syrup. Yield: 8 waffles (about 4 inches).
Nutritional Facts: 2 waffles (calculated without confectioner's sugar, fruit or maple syrup) equals 691 calories, 33 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 290 mg cholesterol, 1,146 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein.