- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional kosher salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; divide into 12 portions. Roll each into a 18-in. rope; twist into a pretzel shape. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Place pretzels into boiling water, one at a time, for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place pretzels onto a preheated waffle iron coated with cooking spray. Cook for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to wire racks. Immediately brush with butter and sprinkle with additional salt. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Waffled Soft Pretzels in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p170
Reviews for Waffled Soft Pretzels(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review