Waffled Monte Cristos Recipe
My husband and I enjoy Monte Cristos so much that I created this non-fried version to cut down on fat. The addition of orange peel and pecans makes these beautiful sandwiches absolutely delicious! —Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 4 slices process American cheese (2/3 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli turkey (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli ham (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk, sugar and orange peel. Dip bread into egg mixture. Place on a preheated waffle iron; sprinkle each slice of bread with pecans. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- 2. Place an American cheese slice on two bread slices; layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, ham and remaining American cheese. Top with remaining bread; butter outsides of sandwiches.
- 3. Toast sandwiches in a skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve with jam. Yield: 2 servings.
1 sandwich (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 611 calories, 28 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 177 mg cholesterol, 1,241 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC