- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 4 slices process American cheese (2/3 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli turkey (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 thin slices deli ham (1/2 ounce each)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, milk, sugar and orange peel. Dip bread into egg mixture. Place on a preheated waffle iron; sprinkle each slice of bread with pecans. Bake according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Place an American cheese slice on two bread slices; layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, ham and remaining American cheese. Top with remaining bread; butter outsides of sandwiches.
- Toast sandwiches in a skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve with jam. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Waffled Monte Cristos
"I feed 18 people breakfast. I made the sandwiches ahead and then baked them at 350* for about 20 minutes to melt the cheese. Rave reviews from everyone and it was so easy."
"My husband and I loved these sandwiches! We ate them with blackberry jam instead of raspberry and it was excellent. We make these every Sunday for lunch."
"French toast marries grilled cheese. This is very sweet and tasty. A nice change on our dinner table that kids enjoyed too. I just grilled it rather than getting out the waffle iron."
"We apologize for any confusion with this recipe. To clarify, all 4 slices of bread are dipped in the egg mixture and cooked in the waffle iron. Then, 2 of them are layered with the meat and cheese and topped with the remaining bread. After they're assembled, the outsides are spread with butter and they're toasted in a skillet to heat them through and melt the cheese.Taste of Home Test Kitchen"
"This was great!"
"It is high inn calories, so I'll only have it on special occasions. It is really, really delicious."
"this is still high calorie, but oh....so yummy!"