Waffled French Toast
Are waffles too much trouble for the two of you? You'll want to try this quick and clever alternative from Martha Osborne of Jackson, Michigan. Martha drizzles crispy slices of whole wheat bread with a yummy strawberry sauce that combines pancake syrup and fresh sliced berries. It's sure to become a breakfast favorite at your house, too!
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 4 slices whole wheat or white bread
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- In a shallow dish, beat the egg, egg white and milk. Dip bread into
- egg mixture, coating both sides. Bake in a preheated waffle iron
- according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- For sauce, in a bowl, crush the strawberries; stir in the pancake
- syrup. Serve French toast with the strawberry sauce. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 pieces French toast with 6 tablespoons sauce) equals 261 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.