- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 16 pieces. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, separate into rolls. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Virginia Box Bread in Reminisce January/February 1995, p53
Reviews for Virginia Box Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 29, 2009