Viennese Plum Cake Recipe
"This is one of my husband's all-time favorite desserts," writes Lorraine Dyda from Rancho Palos Verdes in California. "The recipe was passed on to me by his mother, who was usually pretty hesitant to share recipes, but knew how much he loved this one. The cake is moist and tender with a streusel-like topping and is also good made with blueberries."
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh plums (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with plums. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over plums.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts if desired. Sprinkle over top.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until topping is golden brown and plums are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece (calculated without walnuts) equals 327 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC