Viennese Plum Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh plums (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with plums. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over plums.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts if desired. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until topping is golden brown and plums are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Viennese Plum Cake
Sort By :
"This cake is buttery and wonderful! I was worried that the plums would make it all too wet and that the cake wouldn't set up, but it worked out great. I doubled the recipe for a 9X13 pan and increased the baking time by about 10 minutes. I can't wait to try this again with other fruits...I plan to use strawberries next time and omit the cinnamon. This seems like a great base recipe for lots of fruit experimentation!"
"Very tasty - even the picky eaters loved it. Will have to double the recipe next time though - it was gone in an hour!"
"This cake was delicious, although the plums that I used were a little tart. I will definitely make it again, but next time I will use blueberries instead of plums"
"I'm from Germany and this Pflaumenkuchen/ Plum Cake brought back Sunday afternoon Coffee and Cake Family get-together memories. We made it with Almond slivers in the topping, and also used tart cooked Apples, Peaches,Pears, and Cherries when in season. In a quick fix, i have used a Apple or Cherry Pie filling, even a can of drained Peaches, and it came out just as great. Try a scoop of Ice Cream or whipped Cream on top to make it really heavenly."