Viennese Cookies Recipe
A Swedish friend shared this recipe with me many years ago. A chocolate glaze tops tender cookies filled with apricot jam.—Beverly Stirrat, Mission, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-2/3 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour and ground almonds; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Spread jam on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half of each sandwich cookie into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 186 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC