- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-2/3 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour and ground almonds; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread jam on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half of each sandwich cookie into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forViennese Cookies
"I will try this."
"My family has been making these for decades, and they are fantastic! Be aware that the dough is incredibly fragile, which makes it difficult to roll, but it is TOTALLY worth the effort."