Vidalia Onion Tomato Pizza Recipe
For me, pizza is a staple of life. I worked at a pizza restaurant after college, and I've been trying ever since to re-create the wonderful pizza crust we served. This version, which my family loves, comes pretty close. -Herman Temple, Shawnee, Kansas
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pizza sauce, divided
- 2 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Add 2 tablespoons oil, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Press dough onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of two greased 14-in. pizza pans. Spread 3/4 cup pizza sauce over each. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onions in remaining oil until tender.
- Arrange tomato slices over pizzas. Combine cheeses; sprinkle over tomatoes. Top with onions. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Warm remaining pizza sauce; serve with pizza. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 slices each).
Originally published as Vidalia Onion Tomato Pizza in Taste of Home April/May 2002, p37
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Vidalia Onion Tomato Pizza(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 8, 2014
Great tasting pizza. Easy to make. I will make this again and try with mushrooms. thanks!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizer Pizza Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Italian Pizza Recipes >
- Pizza Recipes >