Vidalia Onion Spinach Salad
Sweet onions and spinach make a delightful combination in this unique salad, which tastes extra special when I use the first leafy greens from my garden in spring! Onions also star in the tangy Dijon dressing and in the crisp homemade croutons.
-Lois Fetting, Nelson, Wisconsin
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Oil for frying
- 1/3 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 16 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onion and parsley. Stir in
- butter and egg. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry croutons
- for 10-15 seconds, turning to brown all sides. Drain on paper