There's no question of the star in this traditional favorite soup. Rich Swiss cheese delightfully tops off a heaping bowlful of sweet, succulent Vidalia onions.—Ruby Jean Bland, Glennville, Georgia
- 4 to 5 large Vidalia or sweet onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions in butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle with pepper and flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the broth, water and bay leaf; simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf. Ladle into ovenproof soup bowls; top with bread and cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Vidalia Onion Soup in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p65
Reviews for Vidalia Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review