Vidalia Onion Soup Recipe
- 4 to 5 large Vidalia or sweet onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions in butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle with pepper and flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the broth, water and bay leaf; simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf. Ladle into ovenproof soup bowls; top with bread and cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Vidalia Onion Soup(2)
Sort By :
I've made this recipe three times now simply because it is fast, easy and delicious. Taking advantage of Vidalia Onion season!
just searching for this one onine as I am away from my cookbooks --this one has been a family favorite for years a good classic french onion soup don't change a thing!