- 6 large sweet onions, sliced (about 12 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender and liquid has evaporated. Place half the onions in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with half the cracker crumbs and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Vidalia Onion Bake
"This recipe is an instant favorite. It was simple to make. The best I could describe this is like a baked blooming onion but much tastier."
"This recipe was easy to make and so delicious. It will become a regular item for our meals!"
"This recipe is excellent--and so easy! I didn't have any Romano cheese, so I increased the cheddar and Parmesan by about 1/2 cup each. I'm going to make this for Christmas instead of my usual creamed onions."
"I liked it. The wife didn't care for it so much. Next Time I'll try it with a little less cheese and some sour cream."
"Vidalia onion bake is a simple dish my family makes when we think it will fit in with what we are eating. It's delicious and easy to make and does not require a lot of attention so we do just fine with it. It's a keeper and going in my recipe box."