Victorian Plum Conserve Recipe
This old-fashioned spicy treat is wonderful spread on scones and toast, used as a tart filling, or served with poultry and ham.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 10 min. + standing YIELD:72 servings
- 3 medium navel oranges
- 12 ripe plums (about 4 pounds), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped peeled ripe pears
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Grate the peel from the oranges, reserving the peel (about 1/3 cup). Peel off and discard white membrane; section the oranges. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the orange sections and peel, plums, raisins, pears, sugar, allspice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 1 hour or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 2. Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Yield: 9 half-pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 51 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC