Very Veggie Omelet Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the zucchini, tomato, oregano and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. Set aside and keep warm.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. Place egg substitute in another bowl; fold in egg white mixture. Pour into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat or until lightly browned on bottom.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen.
- 4. With a knife, score center of omelet. Place vegetable mixture and half of cheese on one side; fold other side over filling. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cut in half to serve. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 each: 197 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Very Veggie Omelet
"This was so tasty and super healthy! We will make again. The only downside was the process. As my husband put it, "why don't we just use this same mix of ingredients, but make our omelet the 'regular' way?""
"I've been making omelets for years, but never could get them as fluffy as I wanted. I finally have the secret! I make this with all different veggie combinations, depending on what i have in the fridge."
"This Omelet is fantastic! It's a bit labor & time intensive, but worth it. I didn't have zucchini and I used whole eggs instead of substitute. Absolutely delicious!"
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.