Very Lemony Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Add lemon juice and butter; stir until butter is melted and mixture is blended. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- 3. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. In a bowl, beat egg whites, vanilla and salt until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on medium speed until soft peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually beat in cornstarch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 4. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 376 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 186 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.