Very Cherry Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, coarsely chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine cherries and sugar; set aside. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; set aside. Cook pudding according to package directions, using 3-1/2 cups milk. Add to cherries. Stir in cream, vanilla and prepared gelatin. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cold.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Very Cherry Ice Cream in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p66
Reviews for Very Cherry Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 26, 2012
"Thought this would be easy and good but this was terrible. It tasted like powder and looked like it had lots of red dye in it. What a waste of good ingredients."