Very Blueberry Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add extracts. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Spread two-thirds of the batter in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. For filling, combine flour, cornstarch and tapioca in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of blueberries; mash with a fork and stir well. Add lemon peel and remaining berries; toss to coat. Pour evenly over batter in pan. Drop remaining batter by rounded tablespoonfuls over filling. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece: 270 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Very Blueberry Cake
"I was searching online for a blueberry cake recipe to bring to a picnic. I found this one and realized the recipe was from my 7th and 8th grade history teacher. So I had to try the recipe. Everyone at the picnic loved the cake and the story behind how I found the recipe too. It's a keeper. I might add 1/2 cup more blueberries the next time I make it. I'm glad I freeze blueberries because this will be a nice summer treat in the middle of winter."
"I have made this recipe many many times, and lost it for a while until i found it here :) don't forget its easy to flash freeze blueberries remember dont rinse them until you take them out for a recipe :)"
"I first made this cake 10 years ago. My family loved it. When I divorced my husband, my older boys went to live with my ex and didn't speak to me. The years have gone by and they have started seeing/talking to me. I was planning to see them next week and said that I would like to bake something for them. When asked what they would like, the first thing out of their mouths was that "blueberry cake" you used to make. With all of the moves I lost track of my years and years of Taste of Home magazines. It was wonderful to be able to go online to find my boys' most treasured taste from growing up. Thanks Taste of Home--I'm sure they'll love eating it as much as I'll enjoy baking it for them!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.