- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, celery seed, paprika and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- When meat is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and stir in sauce mixture; heat through. Serve on rolls with pickle slices if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Very Best Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
"Restaurant quality! Super easy, delicious, and sauce is the bomb! I used a 3 lb chuck roast and reduced amount of ketchup to 3/4 c for our taste. Mine was cooked perfectly in 8 hrs on low. To me it was the "very best" bbq beef sandwich recipe I've made at home."
"This was delicious! Instead of boiling the cornstarch mixture, I removed the meat, shredded it and discarded any fat, then took a cup of the cooking liquid and whisked in two tablespoons of flour until smooth, then returned the mixture, along with the shredded meat to the crockpot. It thickened perfectly. Added a bit of kosher salt at the end to taste. I used a smaller roast and adjusted cooking time. My boys gobbled this up! Will definitely make again!"
"This was easy to make, but I'm not sure I would call it the "very best". The meat was tender, and the sauce was a good consistency, but the taste of the sauce was just average."
"I really enjoyed this recipe. We made sandwiches and burritos with it, my kids loved it!"
"So good...the beef was so tender. The sauce was fabulous."
"My friends and I made this over the weekend to feed a small gathering of friends before and after a concert. It not only made "the best" sandwiches but also served as a tasty dip for chips."
"Easy to make, delicious to eat! I made it the day before guests arrived and reheated it in the slow cooker a few hours before they arrived. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. Definately a keeper!"
"This was delicious. I did add liquid smoke to the sauce. My roast was just over 3 lb. I did not pour all of the thickened sauce over the shredded beef."