- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, celery seed, paprika and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- When meat is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and stir in sauce mixture; heat through. Serve on rolls with pickle slices if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Very Best Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
Sort By :
I really enjoyed this recipe. We made sandwiches and burritos with it, my kids loved it!
So good...the beef was so tender. The sauce was fabulous.
My friends and I made this over the weekend to feed a small gathering of friends before and after a concert. It not only made "the best" sandwiches but also served as a tasty dip for chips.
Easy to make, delicious to eat! I made it the day before guests arrived and reheated it in the slow cooker a few hours before they arrived. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. Definately a keeper!
This was delicious. I did add liquid smoke to the sauce. My roast was just over 3 lb. I did not pour all of the thickened sauce over the shredded beef.