Simple and so good friends will beg for the recipe, these sweet and tangy barbecue beef sandwiches definitely live up to their name. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Dill pickle slices, optional
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, celery seed, paprika and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- When meat is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and stir in sauce mixture; heat through. Serve on rolls with pickle slices if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Very Best Barbecue Beef Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011, p46
Reviews for Very Best Barbecue Beef Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review