I received this recipe from my sister many years ago when we lived in southern Michigan, which has many blueberry farms. We've since moved north and now that my kids eat it all by itself.
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream, orange juice concentrate and cinnamon. Cover and freeze for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, combine berries and lemon juice in a saucepan; cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Cool; cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, spoon ice cream into a bowl or parfait glass; top with the berry sauce. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Very Berry Melba in Country June/July 1997, p49
Reviews for Very Berry Melba
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2013
"Outstanding summer dish. Do not cook the berries in the sauce until the very end. Make the sauce, boil it, then fold in the berries for the best flavor."